When we needed to upgrade from Author-it 5 to version 6.2, the support folks at Author-it recommended Mike Levey of FundaMedia. Mike worked together with our IT department and within our timeline to get us up to speed. It was a long project and Mike was up to the task.
He performed the following tasks:
- Imported all the localized XML files from the target libraries into the source.
- Installed Author-it 6.2 and Localize on the trial server, and verified that they worked.
- Copied the external folders used with Author-it 5 over to the new locations for Author-it 6.2.
- Set up specific language folders for the graphics and templates as required in Author-it 6.2 (it uses a different folder path and naming convention from Author-it 5).
- Reviewed all the objects within the Author-it library which could reference external files (such as media, TOC, book templates) and pointed them all to the new locations.
- Test published a few books in English and a couple of other languages. No errors were reported during the publishing, indicating that the required external files were being found.
There were several hundred spurious or duplicate objects that were imported that were not needed, and Mike went through and cleaned those out for us, too. He also provided training on the new Localize tool which we would not have been able to completely work through without his help.
After the data migration, we needed help creating new templates to match our new content strategy. We experimented with new designs and formats in InDesign and needed a way to convert those document designs into a format that Author-it could understand. Mike was our choice for that project, too. He asked a lot of questions to determine what we needed. He created the new templates, provided training, and offered us a set period of support while we ramped up on integrating the new templates into our content creation process.
Mike continues to offer us ongoing support and his technical expertise has proved invaluable to our technical communications department. He has been a good partner for us in our software upgrade, data migration, and template development initiatives. We highly recommend him.
Teresa Floreano Goertz
Senior Content Strategist and Writer, Precor Inc.
I had a great experience working with Mike Levey (FundaMedia). Mike consulted on my Author-it upgrade, and completed the upgrade with my IT department. He was extremely diligent in figuring out whatever issues popped up. He also helped me figure out the most cost-efficient choices that met the requirements of the system. Mike created my new Author-it templates and trained me on their creation and usage, and trained me on the new Localize app in Author-it. Mike is pleasant, friendly and easy to work with. I was very impressed and would hire him again without question.
Customer Documentation Manager, Technical Writer: Raritan, Inc.
Mike provided Author-it consulting services, on two separate occasions in our organization. I was lucky enough to attend one of his administrator training courses.
Mike was very knowledgeable about the product and ways to apply it to our specific needs. He provided customized, personal training to meet our organizational needs,
and he adapted it based on the experience level of our group--which isn't always an easy task.
I highly recommend Mike's work as an Author-it consultant, and would definitely hire him again.
Senior Technical Writer: ICS dept at LDS Church